THE ART OF ROYCE DEANS
Nature has so much to offer – I respond to it best when I place myself directly in its presence. It might be the model or the landscape – the profound experience of observation, and processing the energy of the moment allows me to respond in a manor that informs and enlarges my understanding. Filled with contradictions and surprises, I find endless potential in all that surrounds me.
Life provides the building blocks: proportion, time, space, and texture. All serve as a foundation on which I build my work.
In recent years I have spent a lot of time making abstract paintings. As a result, my landscapes and figurative work are in new ways more expressive, loose, and in tune with the essence of the subject.
It pleases me when I see the forms of the figure and the outdoor scenes I am so familiar with make appearances in the abstract work. They are woven in and have become part of the fabric of those abstract compositions.
ROYCE DEANS STUDIO
I am going to be making some substantial changes to my artistic practice this fall. The biggest thing is that I am going to be moving my studio to the Grand Traverse Regional Arts Campus. It will allow me to have a larger space to paint and display my work, and a much better environment for my classes and workshops.
This section of my website will be a list of upcoming events and happenings in the studio.
• Tuesday Nights, Open Figure Drawing Sessions.
• Thursday evening instructed figure drawing sessions.
• Nibble & Scribble - Serious art instruction - fun/casual atmosphere.
• Once a month Saturday morning workshops.
• Sunday, November 8th - ArtisTTable Simultaneous Figure Drawing session in Grand Rapids.
• Saturday, November 14th - Figure Painting Workshop 10 - 1
• Saturday, December 5th - Studio Sale and Studio Opening Celebration.